There wasn't much winning going on outside the Appy League for the Braves tonight but some interesting performances none the less. Julio Teheran put together a very solid start for Gwinnett in Brian McCann's rehab start. William Beckwith and Brandon Drury continue to be the driving force behind the Danville offense and Joey Terdoslavich has 64 extra base hits. Should we start taking bets on what he ends up with?
Pawtucket Red Sox 5, Gwinnett Braves 3
- Matt Young, CF 2-4, BB, K, .278 Avg
- Tyler Pastornicky, SS 0-3, 2 BB, .385 Avg
- Brian McCann, DH 1-3, RBI, .333 Avg
- Brandon Hicks, 2B 3-5, K, SB(7), 263 Avg
- Wilkin Ramirez, LF 1-4, HR(8), BB, K, SB(12), .258 Avg
- Julio Teheran 7 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 2.16 ERA
Brian McCann's rehab started tonight and he picked up an RBI in the sixth but was quiet otherwise. Julio Teheran went seven innings for the first time since June 25 and threw 106 pitches. He gave up single runs in the fourth and seventh innings and put together a really solid start. Wilkin Ramirez gave a sampling of everything that has made him interesting and frustrating as a prospect with power and strikeouts and steals. He is the kind of guy that will hang around forever because someone will always believe in his tools.
Mississippi Braves 1, Mobile BayBears 8
- Ernesto Mejia, 1B 1-3, HR(19), 2 K, .294 Avg
Lynchburg Hillcats 3, Wilmington Blue Rocks 9
- Joey Terdoslavich, 1B 2-3, 3B, RBI, BB, .279 Avg
- L.V. Ware, CF 2-4, 2B, .254 Avg
- Mark Lamm 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3.00 ERA
The Hillcats got hit hard in this one with Matt Crim giving up six runs in four innings. Joey Terdoslavich still did what he does by collecting yet another extra base hit. In fact, in his last ten games he has ten hits, but nine of them have gone for extra bases. Unfortunately my boy Todd Cunningham didn't collect a hit tonight.
Asheville Toursits 4, Rome Braves 3
- Chris Garcia, 1B 1-4, HR(13), .319 Avg
- Tommy La Stella, 2B 2-3, .261 Avg
- Robby Hefflinger, LF 1-3, HR(7), 2 RBI, K, .264 Avg
- Carlos Perez 4 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 6 BB, 4 K, 4.88 ERA
- Cody Martin 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1.59 ERA
The top three hitters for Rome combined to reach base zero times in this one. Add in Carlos Perez' poor outing and the Braves didn't have much of a chance in this one. Cody Martin has been solid in relief for Rome, but he has a four pitch repertoire and the Braves haven't been shy about trying relievers as starters recently. Don't be surprised if he is starting games next season.
Danville Braves 8, Burlington Royals 3
- Brandon Drury, 3B 4-5, RBI, .342 Avg
- William Beckwith, DH 1-3, HR(8), 2 RBI, 2 BB, .287 Avg
- Sam Munson, RF 3-5, 3B, 4 RBI, .277 Avg
Brandon Drury must find a hit in each shoe when he wakes up each morning. He has actually been a little schizo so far this season with a .585 OPS in June, then 1.047 in July and then just .612 in August before tonight. His extra base power is down a little after a .645 SLG last month. Beckwith has been very consistent so far despite the drop in his batting average.
GCL Blue Jays 5, GCL Braves 8
- Felix Marte, RF 1-4, HR(5), 3 RBI, 2 K, .261 Avg
- Brian Stamps, CF 2-3, HR(2), K, .203 Avg
- Wei Huang 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 3.86 ERA
The Braves pullout the win against the Blue Jays who are just a half game ahead of them in standings. Felix Marte picked up his fifth homer of the season and currently has an .811 OPS for the year. Eduardo Castillo gave up five runs in four innings of work and has consistently give up three or four runs in all but one of his outings this season.
DSL Braves @ DSL Tigers