Tyler Pastornicky hit for the cycle for AA Mississippi.
Gwinnett Braves 1, Durham Bulls 3, 6 innings
- Diory Hernandez 3B 2-3, .221 AVG
- Ruben Gotay 2B 1-1, BB, SB (1), .236 AVG
- Todd Redmond 6 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 5 K, 3.16 ERA
Rain shortened this game to 6 innings, meaning Todd Redmond was saddled with the complete game loss after allowing a pair of solo homers in the 5th. Despite his 5-8 record, Redmond is having his best year at AAA, as his 3.16 ERA is over a run better than the 4.33 ERA he put up over his first 2 years with Gwinnett, and his 1.14 WHIP is better than his 1.30 WHIP over the last 2 years. Diory Hernandez broke an 0-11 slump with a 2 hit day.
Julio Teheran will take on the Knights of Charlotte on Wednesday.
Mississippi Braves 14, Jackson Generals 7
- Tyler Pastornicky SS 4-6, 2B, 3B, HR (6), 2 RBI, .298 AVG
- Dan Nelson 3B 2-6, 2 2B, 2 RBI, .267 AVG
- Ernesto Mejia 1B 3-3, RBI, 2 BB, .305 AVG
- Willie Cabrera DH 2-4, HR (2), 3 RBI, BB, .278 AVG
- Cory Harrilchak RF 3-3, RBI, 2 BB, SB (8), .237 AVG
- Randall Delgado 3 IP, 3 ER, 3 H, 4 BB, 4 K, 3.67 ERA
- Richard Sullivan 2 IP, 0 R, 4 H, 0 BB, 2 K, W (2), 5.80 ERA
- JJ Hoover 1.1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 2.77 ERA
- Billy Bullock 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 4.91 ERA
After putting up 11 runs against the Genrals yesterday, the M-Braves pounded out 14 more today. They were led by ,Tyler Pastornicky, who hit for the cycle, homering in the 3rd, singling in the 4th, doubling in the 5th, and tripling in the 9th. Over the last 2 games, he's gone 7-12. Cory Harrilchak also had a great day, reaching base all 5 times he came to the plate and swiping a bag. He's struggled for most of the year, but Chak is 6-11 with 4 walks and 6 RBI in his last 3 games. Willie Cabrera drove in 3 runs for the second straight day, hitting his second homer of the year. Randall Delgado was pulled after just 3 innings, his shortest stint of the year. Walks did him in, as he gave up 4 on the way to allowing 3 earned runs. JJ Hoover pitched 1.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen, and since being converted to a reliever, the big righty has a 2.57 ERA and a 0.71 WHIP while allowing just 1 walk and striking out 7 over 7 innings. Billy Bullock pitched his 8th straight scoreless appearance, and over theat span he's allowed 4 hits, 2 walks, and struck out 12 over 10 innings.
The M-Braves will send Arodys Vizcaino to the hill tomorrow night.
Lynchburg Hillcats 4, Myrtle Beach Pelicans 6
- Marcus Lemon LF 2-5, .265 AVG
- Andrelton Simmons SS 2-4, RBI, 2 E (15, 16), .301 AVG
- Phil Gosselin 2B 2-5, 2B, .286 AVG
- Joe Terdoslavich 1B 2-5, 2B, RBI, E (6), .267 AVG
- Blaine Sims 6.1 IP, 6 R, 5 ER, 10 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 3.25 ERA
Andrelton Simmons had a multi-hit game, but unfortunately he also had a multi-error game. Still, after hitting a rough patch at the plate, he's turned it on again, going 10-22 during a 6 game hitting streak. Of course, even that streak highlights some of the defecits in his game, as he's collected just 1 walk during the streak and none of those hits have gone for extra bases. Phil Gosselin is the type of no-frills player who's contributions can only been seen over the long haul, and the 22 year old has improved his season numbers to a .286 average and a .756 OPS. He's killing the ball so far in July, hitting .389 with a .900 OPS in 5 games. Blaine Sims lost his third straight decision, and over his last 4 starts he has a 4.91 ERA and a 1.68 WHIP.
The Hillcats head to Kinston tomorrow with Aaron Schafer scheduled to start.
Rome Braves 0, Savannah Sand Gnats 1
- Tommy La Stella 2B 1-3, BB, .261 AVG
- Aaron Northcraft 7 IP, 1 ER, 5 H, 3 BB, 2 K, 2.89 ERA
Aaron Northcraft had his best start of the season in a losing effort, allowing just 1 run over 7 innings. The 21 year old got a late start to the season, but has been solid, with a 2.89 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP. One area that needs some work is his control, as he's allowing 3.6 BB/9, and only has a 1.7 K/BB rate. The offense only had 4 hits behind him, with Tommy La Stella reaching twice on a single and a walk. The 22 year old is 6-10 in his last 3 games.
Caleb Brewer will take on Savannah tomorrow.
Danville Braves - Postponed
GCL Braves 1, GCL Phillies 3
- Kirk Walker SS 3-3, .346 AVG
- Troy Snitker DH 1-4, 2B, RBI, .219 AVG
- Andy Otero 2 IP, 3 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 8.18 ERA
- Matt Talley 4 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
Kirk Walker didn't even start the game, he came in after starter Logan Robbins was hit by a pitch in his first at bat, but he still managed to collect 3 of the Braves' 5 hits on the day. After going 6-12 in his first 4 games, Troy Snitker suffered an 0-16 in his last 4 games. He got back on track a little with an RBI double today, but his numbers have still slumped to a .219 average and a .257 OBP. Andy Otero is having his struggles after missing all of last season with transpositional ligament surgery. He's allowed 10 runs over 11 innings and is giving up 11.5 hits per 9 innings. On the bright side, he's maintained his ability to limit walks, allowing just 1, and strike hitters out, with 14 strikeouts on the year, a good indication that once he gets the rust off he could be dominating hitters again. At 21, Matt Talley is too old for the GCL, but at least he's pitching like it, with 10 scoreless innings and a 0.70 WHIP.
DSL Braves - Postponed