On a hot day where my AC went out the guys on the farm managed to go 2-3. Bad pitching was the culprit in Gwinnett though they got some power of their own. A surprise player delivers the offense for Mississippi and Lynchburg.
Gwinnett Braves 4, Durham Bulls 7
- Mauro Gomez 1B - 2-4, HR(14), 2 K, .294 Avg
- Brandon Hicks SS - 2-4, HR(12), 2 RBI, K, .266 Avg
- Eric Cordier 2.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 4.81 ERA
Cordier couldn't get it done tonight despite a couple of homers from the infield and the Braves drop back even with the Bulls in the division. Brandon Hicks has four homers in his last ten games but fourteen strikeouts in that span. There is a give and take there.
Todd Redmond attempts to take the division back from the Bulls tomorrow.
Mississippi Braves 6, Huntsville Stars 2
- Mycal Jones CF - 1-5, 2B, .216 Avg
- Ernesto Mejia 1B - 1-4, 2B, .295 Avg
- Sean Henry LF - 3-4, 2B, BB, .375 Avg
- Cory Harrilchak RF - 3-4, 2B, HR(5), 4 RBI, BB, .232 Avg
- Paul Clemens 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R(1 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 3.29 ERA
Paul Clemens picked up his sixth win of the season in his first start after the All Star break. He appears to have settled into a middle ground of sorts after the starting the year hot and leading the Southern League in ERA and then giving up fifteen runs over the course of two starts. Since the second of those starts he has given up two or three runs in each of his last four outings. Cory Harrilchak has had a rough season so far though he was moderately better in June. Hopefully his show tonight will get he ball rolling for the guy that was our best OF prospect before the season started.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans 3, Lynchburg Hillcats 5
- Andrelton Simmons SS - 2-4, .297 Avg
- Joey Terdoslavich 1B - 1-2, 2B, 2 BB, K, .261 Avg
- Joe Leonard 3B - 2-4, HR(4), 4 RBI, .263 Avg
- Christian Bethancourt DH - 2-4, RBI, CS(1), .258 Avg
- David Hale 4 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 5.13 ERA
The Hillcats take the second straight game from the Pelicans behind the bat of Joe Leonard and good pitching from a smorgasbord of relief pitchers. Leonard got the offense started with a three run bomb in the first inning and he tacked on another RBI in the fourth. Terdoslavich reached base three times as well. Today was Hale's first start of the season and it went pretty well. I don't know if he is going remain in that role and he has not succeeded as a starter in the past but he may get one more shot to see if his above average stuff can stick in the rotation.
Zeke Spruill will take the mound tomorrow against Myrtle Beach.
Charleston RiverDogs 4, Rome Braves 2
- Tommy La Stella 2B - 1-2, 2 BB, SB(1), .184 Avg
- Edward Salcedo 3B - 0-4, K, .275 Avg
- Chris Garcia 1B - 1-2, 2B, RBI, BB, E(4), .354 Avg
- David Rohm RF - 2-4, 2 2B, K, .273 Avg
Three days into July and David Rohm has already matched his double total from last month. He is hitting .538 in his first three games this month and .429 over his last 10. As good as Salcedo has been recently Rohm has been the best hitter on this team and maybe in the entire Sally League over the last couple of weeks.
Burlington Royals 5, Danville Braves 1
- Brandon Drury DH - HR(1), .311 Avg
- Lucas La Point 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 K, 2.65 ERA
Brandon Drury - CHOO CHOO!!!
GCL Braves - Off Day
DSL Braves - Off Day