Another good night at the plate from Edward Salcedo drives Rome to a win. A couple of nice performances from the rookie ball guys stood out and Yohan Flande had a very nice start for Gwinnett. Jean Carlos Gil has put himself on my radar as well.
Gwinnett Braves 4, Durham Bulls 1
- Maruo Gomez 1B - 1-4, 2B, RBI, 3 K, .291 Avg
- Brandon Hicks SS - 1-4, RBI, BB, 2 K, .260 Avg
- Yohan Flande 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 7 K, 4.00 ERA
- Jairo Asencio 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2.08 ERA
Gwinnett moved back into first place with their win over the Bulls tonight. This has been a pretty good race all season with the team seesawing the division lead every time they play against each other. Tonight Yohan Flande played the part of stopper throwing six innings of one run ball. The Gwinnett offense collected just five hits on the night and scored all of their runs in the first inning, but the pitching staff made it stand.
Eric Cordier mans the hill for Gwinnett on Sunday.
MIssissippi Braves 1, Huntsville Stars 4
- Tyler Pastornicky SS - 1-4, .292 Avg
- Dan Nelson LF-2B - 2-4, 2 2B, K, .281 Avg
- Brett Oberholtzer 6 IP, 4 H, 3 R(2 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 4.18 ERA
- J.J. Hoover 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2.82 ERA
No offense leads to another loss for a Braves club. This appears to be a theme. Brett Oberholtzer still hasn't regained his early season form and he has some pretty extreme splits to this point in the year. He has allowed a Ventersian 1.93 ERA vs lefties and a sub 1.00 WHIP. Against righties he is more Kolbian witha 5.10 ERA with more than a hit an inning and all of his homers allowed. He is going to have to get this under control or he and Hoover might be switching places in the future. Hoover gave up his second run in 5.2 innings of relief this season. The move continues.
Kenshin Kawakami will attempt to pitch tomorrow against the Stars.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans 4, Lynchburg Hillcats 5
- Andrelton Simmons SS - 1-4, BB, K, .294 Avg
- Phil Gosselin 2B - 1-3, BB, .283 Avg
- Shawn McGill C - 3-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI, .263 Avg
- Chris Masters 7 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 0 BB, 6 K, 3.42 ERA
Chris Mastersput together a decent start and the weakened Lynchburg offense got enough done to collect a needed win. Adam Milligan was officially put on the DL today after missing the past few games. This will be his second DL stint this season with a hamstring injury. Hopefully it won't keep him out too long because he was making nice progress in Lynchburg before the injury. Phil Gosselin is giving me reason to think he is more than I had originally thought though I think I need to see him at a higher level before I make a call.
Dimaster Delgado will pitch against former Braves affiliate Myrtle Beach.
Charleston RiverDogs 5, Rome Braves 6
- Tony Mueller CF - 2-4, K, CS(1), .500 Avg
- Edward Salcedo 3B - 1-3, 3B, 2 RBI, BB, K, .279 Avg
- Chris Garcia DH - 1-4, 2B, RBI, .352 Avg
- Evan Gattis C - 2-4, 3B, RBI, .319 Avg
- David Rohm RF -1-4, 2B, K, .270 Avg
Edward Salcedo continues his recent dominance. He has an extra base hit in five straight games and in eight of his last ten as well. He is beginning to really assert himself as a legitimate offensive prospect. I just pray they don't let anyone pry him away from us. He is our one shot to replace Chipper long term. Luckily for the Braves when they develop a position player they are either really good or complete busts. I am crossing my fingers on Salcedo.
Willie Kempf will look to build on his recent good work tomorrow against Charleston tomorrow.
Greeneville Astros 7, Danville Braves 4
- Nick Ahmed SS - 1-2, 2B, 2 BB, K, .324 Avg
- Ryan Delgado C - 1-3, 2 RBI, BB, .182 Avg
- Brandon Drury 3B - 3-4, 2B, RBI, K, .317 Avg
- Jonathan Burns 4 IP, 1 H, 0R, 0 BB, 6 K, 3.86 ERA
Nick Ahmed has been more impressive than I had initially thought he would be and I really believe he needs to be up a level. I think I might have said this last night two. It is still true. I am also going to ride the Brandon Drury train until the wheels fall off. Get on board or else.
GCL Yankees 4, GCL Braves 1
- Nick Lobanov DH - 1-3, 2B, .308 Avg
- Rafael Briceno 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 4.61 ERA
GCL Braves 3, GCL Yankees 0
- Felix Marte RF - 2-3, K, .286 Avg
- Brian Stamps CF - 2-3, K, .167 Avg
- Jean Carlos Gil 5 IP 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 5 K, 1.13 ERA
Marte flashed some good power in the DSL last season but this season he has just one extra base hit through his first eleven games. He is taking quite a few walks however which is always a nice consolation prize. Jean Carlos Gil has been very good so far after a great season in the DSL last year. He is 20 years old so a little advanced for the GCL. He'll need a bump up before the season is done.
DSL Braves @ DSL Phillies