Several of our best performing hitters had excellent nights. Edward Salcedo got another extra base hit and added a walk for good measure in a loss. William Beckwith continues to demolish the Appy League and is now leading the league in OPS. Brandon Drury also collected some more hits to push his average up to .351.
Norfolk Tides 4, Gwinnett Braves 2
- Jose Constanza, DH 1-3, BB, .316 Avg
- Todd Redmond 6 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 6 K, 3.24 ERA
The Braves got a nice start from Todd Redmond but the offense was woefully inadequate. The three-four-five-six hitters went 0-13 and no one on the team got more than one hit. There's not a lot to say other than that.
Tennessee Smokies 1, Mississippi Braves 0 - Suspended
This one was suspended in the third inning because of some torrential rain. They will make the game up tomorrow at 5 PM.
Lynchburg Hillcats 5, Potomac Nationals 4
- Marcus Lemon, LF 3-5, 2B, HR(1), CS(2), .238 Avg
- Andrelton Simmons, SS 1-4, 2B, BB, K, .304 Avg
- Joey Terdoslavich, 1B 2-3, 2B, 3 RBI, BB, .273 Avg
- Logan McGill, C 2-3, 2B, .269 Avg
- Mark Lamm 0.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, o BB, 0 K, 6.75 ERA
The Hillcats got out to a 5-0 lead behind good pitching from Aaron Schafer but the bullpen almost gave the game away by giving up two runs in each of the eighth and ninth innings. Recent draftee Mark Lamm made his second appearance for the Hillcats but this one was not as successful as the first where he struck out the side. Lamm, this years sixth round pick, has advanced farther than any other 2011 draftee.
Rome Braves 4, Greenville Drive 5
- Matt Lipka, SS 2-4, RBI, BB, K, .240 Avg
- Edward Salcedo, 3B 2-4, 3B, RBI, BB, .279 Avg
- Chris Garcia, 1B 1-3, HR(11), 2 BB, K, .344 Avg
- Evan Gattis, C 2-5, 2B, RBI, K, .288 Avg
The Braves tried hard to come back in this one by tying the game in the top of the ninth, but the Drive scored the game winning run in the bottom of the frame to take the win. Edward Salcedo had a nice game and pushed his season OPS up to .808. Over the last two months he has put up an OPS of over .850 and he has also cut his strikeout rate this month. I wouldn't expect to see him in Rome for much longer. Which means I need to get up there soon.
Danville Braves 11, Burlington4
- Fernando De Los Santos, 2B 3-4, 2 2B, RBI, .308 Avg
- Brandon Drury, 2B 4-6, RBI, .351 Avg
- William Beckwith, 1B 2-5, 2B, HR(5), 5 RBI, K, .329 Avg
David Filak allowed four runs in 3.2 innings of work and his ERA in Danville is now up to 9.74 after posting a 7.54 mark in Rome. He was nearly unhittable in the Appy League last season so it makes me wonder what is going on with him that he has gotten this bad this fast. And on a side note William Beckwith currently leads the Appy League in OPS. He is sporting a .455 wOBA and a .306 ISO to boot. Nice season so far.
GCL Braves - Off
DSL Braves - Off