Norfolk Tides 3, Gwinnett Braves 4 - 11 Innings
- Christ Carter, DH 2-2, 2 RBI, .286 avg
- Eric Cordier 6 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 5 BB, 8 K, 4.03 ERA
Another microcosm game this time from Eric Cordier. For a guy with great stuff and poor control this game is a great example of what Eric Cordier brings to the table. He racked up the strike outs and allowed just one hit. He actually walked the bases loaded in the fourth inning and allowed the lone run on a ground out. At this point I don't know if his control will ever pan out, but his pure stuff is going to be useful in the Atlanta bullpen.
Tennessee Smokies 3, Mississippi Braves 5 - 6 Innings
This game started really late and I have work early in the morning so I apologize ahead of time.
Winston-Salem Dash 4, Lynchburg Hillcats 1
- Andrelton Simmons, SS 2-5, K, SB(12), .304 Avg
- Adam Milligan, LF 3-4, 2B, HR(12), K, .291 Avg
- Christian Bethancourt, C 2-4, 2B, .241 Avg
- Zeke Spruill 7.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R(1 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 3.06 ERA
The Hillcats had twice as many hits as the 'Dash' but couldn't collect on the baserunners. Poor fielding in the fifth inning allowed three unearned runs to score behind Zeke Spruill. Adam Milligan is still crushing baseballs and I think should get a run at AA before the season is out. That will be the test to see if his approach is going to work at higher levels.
Rome Braves 3, Kannapolis Intimidators 1
- Tony Mueller, CF 3-5, 2B, K, .244 Avg
- Evan Gattis, C 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, .284 Avg
- Ryan Weber 4 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2.66 ERA
- Chasen Shreve 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 3.83 ERA
The R-Braves got some excellent tandem starting from Ryan Weber and Chasen Shreve. Weber continues to get gorundballs at a ridiculous pace. He picked up seven tonight against just one flyball. He has a 1.81 groundball rate at Rome this season. He has actually had a very nice season at Rome even though he has bounced between starting and relieving all year. He is still just 20 years old so there could be some potential here, though with his small frame he will almost certainly be in the bullpen for the long haul.
Danville Braves 1, Burlington Royals 2 - 11 Innings
- Brandon Drury, DH 1-4, BB, .330 Avg
- William Beckwith, 1B 3-4, 2B, BB, .333 Avg
- Lucas La Point 6 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1.86 ERA
A great pitching performance from Lucas La Point was spoiled by an equally great performance from a combination of pitchers from the Royals. William Beckwith continued his assault on the Appalachian League. His OPS is getting close to 1.100 now and he has walked in nearly 16% of his plate appearances. La Point has been pretty good though he has allowed 30 hits in 29 innings. He has just three walks and a 1.75 ground ball rate.
DSL Braves 4, DSL Tigers 2
- Daniel Castro, 2B 2-5, 2B, RBI, .203 Avg
- Robinson Arno, LF 1-3, 2B, 2 K, .225 Avg
- Carlos Sanchez, C 1-4, 2B, RBI, K, .205 Avg
- Luis Madrid, DH 2-3, RBI, .246 Avg
I am really just drawing a blank on what to write about the DSL guys tonight. Can I get a crowdsource on this one.