A slow night in the minors with the top half all having the day off. Salcedo and Lipka are the stars of the night as they both collected three hit games. Brandon Drury continues to hit for Danville and tonight he did something he hasn't done all season.
Rome Braves 4, Kannapolis Intimidators 10
- Matt Lipka, SS 3-5, HR(1), .235 Avg
- Edward Salcedo, 3B 3-5, 2B, RBI, .276 Avg
- Caleb Brewer 3.1 IP, 6 H, 8 R(7 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 4.67 ERA
- Carlos Perez 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 5.04 ERA
I am starting to think that Salcedo finds a double under his bed every morning. Tonight's made 24 for the year and 16 of those have come in the last month and a half. In contrast you can see Matt Lipka hit his first homer of the season. He now has 13 extra base hits total. Tonight's three hit game broke him out of a woeful slump that saw him collect just four hits in his last nine games. Caleb Brewer did not have a nice night but Carlos Perez made a relief appearance and looked good. I would suspect this is just a way to keep his innings down.
Kingsport Mets 2, Danville Braves 8
- Kurt Fleming, CF 1-4, 2B, RBI, K, SB(5), .212 Avg
- Kyle Kubitza, DH 2-4, RBI, BB, K, .259 Avg
- Brandon Drury, 3B 2-4, 2 RBI, BB, SB(2), .342 Avg
- Sam Munson, RF 3-4, HR(2), 2 RBI, .281 Avg
- Williams Perez 5 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 8 K, 4.58 ERA
- Jarrett Miller 2 IP, 0, H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1.93 ERA
And Brandon Drury put together another nice game for Danville and he finally collected his first walk of the season. Now he is truly a complete player. Nick Ahmed also chipped in with a couple of hits and an RBI. Williams Perez has been a bit of a strikeout machine so far but his walks have gotten the best of him so far. In the past he hasn't shown a propensity for walking batters so this is probably just a blip on the radar.
GCL Braves 4, GCL Tigers 3 - 11 Innings
- Seth Moranda, SS 3-6, K, .375 Avg
- Anthony Nunez, C 2-4, RBI, K, .130 Avg
There wasn't a whole lot of action in this game but the Braves bullpen put together nearly six innings of hitless baseball to give the offense a chance in the 11th inning. The starter, Eduardo Castillo, pitched five innings and gave up three runs while striking out five.
DSL Tigers 4, DSL Braves 3
- Robinson Arno, LF 1-4, 2B, 2 K, .213 Avg
- Ibrahim McKenzie, 1B 2-4, RBI, K, .170 Avg
I just realized yesterday that the league our DSL team plays in has just three other teams in it. Probably not a good competition base to compare the players against. Either way it doesn't appear we have any real hitters down here outside of Emmanuel Daniel.