Tons of great pitching performances were turned in by Braves starters tonight, with Cristhian Martinez, Yohan Flande, Zeke Spruill, Jean Carlos Gil, Frank Lafreniere, and Andry Ubiera all throwing solid games and 4 Rome pitchers combining on a 12 strikeout shutout.
Gwinnett Braves 0, Charlotte Knights 2, Game 1
- Martin Prado 3B 1-3, .300 AVG
- Cristhian Martinez 6 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 6 K, 2.45 ERA
Gwinnett Braves 2, Charlotte Knights 1, Game 2
- Jeff Fiorentino CF 3-3, 2B, .262 AVG
- Martin Prado DH 0-2, BB, .250 AVG
- Yohan Flande 5. IP, 1 ER, 7 H, 1 BB, 3 K, W (5), 3.79 ERA
Jairo Asencio 1.2 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, SV (15), 1.71 ERA
In the first game, the Braves only mustered 2 hits, one from Martin Prado, who played third base again, the position he'll likely be playing when he reutrns to Atlanta. He DHed in the second game, meaning he got a full 14 innings of baseball in after not making it through a full game in his first 3 rehab appearances. Cristhian Martinez had another good start, allowing 2 runs over 6 innings, striking out 6. In 2 AAA starts he has a 2.45 ERA, a 0.91 ERA, and a 9.8 K/9 rate. In the second game, Jeff Fiorentino was 3-3, and in his last 3 games he's 6-8 with 4 doubles. Jairo Asencio picked up his 15th save of the year, and he hasn't allowed an earned run in his last 6 appearances, striking out 8 over 7.2 innings in that span while picking up 5 saves.
Todd Redmond will get the Sunday start for Gwinnett.
Mississippi Braves 4, Mobile Bay Bears 10
Tyler Pastornicky SS 2-4, .301 AVG
Ernesto Mejia 1B 3-4, HR (13), 2 RBI, .307 AVG
Willie Cabrera 2-4, 2B, .278 AVG
Kenshin Kawakami 4 IP, 8 ER, 11 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 7.20 ERA
Tyler Pastornicky extended his hitting streak to 6 games with a pair of singles. He's gone 13-29 during the streak. Ernesto Mejia hit his 13th homer of the season and he's killing the ball in July, with a .406 average and a 1.244 OPS. Kenshin Kawakami pitched poorly, surprising no one.
Randall Delgado will face the Bay Bears on Sunday.
Lynchburg Hillcats 8, Potomac Nationals 3
- Andrelton Simmons SS 2-5, E (17), .299 AVG
- Phil Gosselin 2B 3-4, 2B, RBI, BB, .286 AVG
- Joe Teroslavich 1B 3-4, 2B, 3 RBI, .271 AVG
- Shawn McGill C 2-4, .275 AVG
- LV Ware CF 2-3, 3B, 2 RBI, BB, .256 AVG
- Zeke Spruill 6.1 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 5 K, W (7), 3.17 ERA
Things were clicking on all cylinders for the Hillcats tonight, as Zeke Spruill won his third straight decision. Spruill is having a nice season, with a 3.17 ERA and a 1.00 WHIP, and since he's now pitched 181.1 innings at High A is seems like it's time for him to move up to AA. Phil Gosselin reached base 4 times tonight, and he's off to a nice start in July, with a .357 average and a .871 OPS. Joe Tersolavich had 3 hits and 3 RBI tonight, and while he's put up nice numbers this season, with a .271 average and a .832 OPS, his homer power seems so have disappeared. After hitting 7 longballs in April, he's hit just 5 the rest of the season. After seeing his numbers dip to a .258 average and .611 OPS in June, Andrelton Simmons is working hard to right his ship, with a .364 average and a .783 OPS so far in July.
The Hillcats will send Blaine Sims to the mound Sunday.
Rome Braves 1, Greenville Braves 0
- Matt Lipka SS 1-3, BB, .233 AVG
- Tommy la Stella 2B 1-4, RBI, .254 AVG
- Kyle Rose CF 1-1, 2 BB, .240 AVG
- Ryan Weber 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 2.70 ERA
- Robert Roth 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
- Chasen Shreve 3.2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 6 K, W (2), 4.19 ERA
- Gus Schlosser 1.1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 3 K, SV (2), 3.00 ERA
Starter Ryan Weber, who was just activated from the DL, and relievers Robert Roth, a former Phillies farmhand just signed out of an independent league, Chasen Shreve and Gus Schlosser combined to shut out the Drive, striking out 12 in the process. Kyle Rose reached base 3 times tonight, a bright spot in what's been a trying year for him. leg injuries have limited him to only 100 at bats, and he has just 1 extra base hit on the season. Those leg injuries have also sapped his one plus tool, as he's stolen just 5 bases this year.
Aaron Northcraft will face the Drive Sunday.
Danville Braves 0, Bluefield Blue Jays 3
- William Beckwith 1B 1-2, 2 BB, .327 AVG
- David Filak 5 IP, 3 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 5 K, 9.72 ERA
- Wilson Rivera 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 1.13 ERA
Allowing 3 runs over 5 innings doesn't sound like a great start, but it's the best one David Filak has had in a long while, and a real positive step in the right direction. Wilson Rivera struck out the side over a scoreless inning, and the 21 year old Dominican is having a good season, with a 1.13 ERA and 14 strikeouts in 8 innings, but he's also allowed 8 walks, a number he must cut down. William Beckwith extended his hitting streak to 6 games, and he's gone 8-15 with a triple, 2 homers, 6 RBI, and 4 walks in that span.
Dan Winnie will pitch Sunday in the series finale against Bluefield.
GCL Braves 3, GCL Blue Jays 2, Game 1
- Troy Snitker C 1-3, 2B, RBI, .216 AVG
- Brett Butts 2 IP, 1 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 10.13 ERA
- Jean Carlos Gil 5 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 8 K, W (2), 1.29 ERA
GCL Braves 0, GCL Blue Jays 2, Game 2
- Logan Robbins 2B-SS 2-4, SB (3), E (1), .238 AVG
- Hector Garcia CF 1-2, BB, .128 AVG
- Frank Lafreniere 5 IP, 2 R, 1 ER, 5 H, 0 BB, 5 K, 3.92 ERA
In the first game, Jean Carlos Gil continued his fine season, as the 20 year old Venezuelan struck out 8 over 5 innings. For the year he's struck out 28 in 21 innings while only walking 6. In the second, Frank Lafreniere had a good start, striking out 5 while allowing 2 runs, 1 earned, over 5 innings in a losing effort.
DSL Braves 5, DSL Angels 3
- Emmanuel Daniel RF 3-4, 2B, BB, E (1), .325 AVG
- Carlos Sanchez C 2-2, 2 BB, SB (3), .194 AVG
- Gustavo Gomez 2B 2-4, 2 RBI, .167 AVG
- Andry Ubiera 5 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 1 BB, 8 K, 3.21 ERA
Carlos Sanchez, a 17 year old Panamanian catcher, had the best game of his pro career, reaching base all 4 times he came to the plate and stealing a base. Emmanuel Daniel also reached base 4 times, continuing his fine season that's seen him put up a .325 average and a .869 OPS. Andry Ubier, a 18 year old Dominican, had a great start, striking out 8 over 5 hitless innings.