Rain washed out two games today and a third team didn't play to begin with so I get an easy night. Gwinnett's offense was clicking on all cylinders and it still amazes me that this offense has performed so poorly this season. Rome held the opposition under ten runs in their contest but couldn't get more than three themselves.
Gwinnett Braves 9, Louisville Bats 4
- Matt Young CF - 2-3, 2B, 2 BB, PO, .310 Avg
- Ruben Gotay 2B - 2-5, 2 RBI, .222 Avg
- Chris Carter 1B - 2-3, RBI, BB, .278 Avg
- Wilkin Castillo C - 3-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K, .267 Avg
- Brandon Hicks SS - 2-5, 2B, RBI, 2 K, .258 Avg
- Eric Cordier 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 3.65 ERA
- Juan Abreu 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2.27 ERA
Gwinnett's offense knocked out 14 hits tonight and used a four run fifth inning to take the win from the Bats. Eric Cordier pitched a solid game with some nice relief help from Juan Abreu who pitched two perfect innings. Years ago when the Braves AAA team was in Richmond, long time farmhand Damon Hollins earned the nickname the "Mayor" because he spent parts of seven different seasons playing for the Braves. Matt Young is just in his third season for Gwinnett, but I get the feeling that he may reach Mayor status before all is said and done.
Todd Redmond will look to improve on his 3.21 ERA tomorrow.
Mississippi - Off Day
Kenshin Kawakami will make the start for the Braves tomorrow against the Stars.
Lynchburg Hillcats @ Winston-Salem Dash
This game was suspended in the first inning due to rain.
Savannah Sand Gnats 5, Rome Braves 3
- Edward Salcedo 3B - 1-4, SB(13), E(27), .275 Avg
- Evan Gattis DH - 1-4, HR(8), .336 Avg
- Kyle Rose CF - 2-2, SB(5), .232 Avg
- Willie Kempf 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 4.76 ERA
Edward Salcedo couldn't follow his big night up with another big night and that has been a theme with him. He started the year on a torrid pace but since then he hasn't really had any hot streaks. He will get his hits here and there and he has had a mini-slump here and there but for the most part he has been steadily mediocre since his hot streak. Hopefully last night's big game will spark something going forward.
Carlos Perez will try to stop the Braves four game losing streak.
Princeton Rays @ Danville Braves
This game was postponed due to rain and will be made up tomorrow as part of a double header.
GCL Braves 2, GCL Blue Jays 7
- Aris Alcantara 1B -1-1, 2 BB, .259 Avg
- Meng Tsai C - 2-4, 2B, 2 K, .500 Avg
- Frank Lafreniere 5 IP, 6 H, 5 R(3 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 7.45 ERA
Offensively these two teams performed similarly for the game but the Blue Jays got two, two-run homers that put them up for good. As I said yesterday, Aris Alcantara has a pretty solid eye and he showed that off tonight taking two walks. Meng Tsai made his season debut today. He is a Taiwanese catcher the Braves signed in 2008. He spent over a year in Australia and then appeared in the GCL last season for all of four at bats. I don't know much about him outside of that but I cross my fingers for these Asian players because the Braves have had very little success in that market.
DSL Tigers @ DSL Braves