There wasn't much winning going on in Braves country tonight outside of Rome. Gwinnett, Mississippi and Lynchburg all combined for less runs that Rome scored. There were some nice performances though. Salcedo and Bethancourt both had nice nights at the plate for Rome and J.J. Hoover pitched a nice game in a losing effort.
Lehigh Valley IronPigs 4, Gwinnett Braves 0
- Eric Cordier 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2.79 ERA
Fore the second straight game the G-Braves scored no runs. They had five hits in the game and zero of them went for extra bases and they also collected no walks. At least this time Cordier pitched a solid game.
Todd Redmond will face the same team that he faced last time out in the Buffalo.
Mobile BayBears 4, Mississippi Braves 2
- Mycal Jones CF - 3-5, K, CS(3), .315 Avg
- Donell Linares 3B - 1-3, 2B, RBI, 2 K, .290 Avg
- JJ Hoover 6 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 8 K, 2.52 ERA
J. J. Hoover made his first solid start in a while but it wasn't quite enough to get the Braves the win. He was pretty effective considering he gave up just two hits on the game. Unfortunately they both went for extra bases and plated runs. On the offensive side the Braves couldn't get much going even with their leadoff hitter getting on base three times.
Paul Clemens and his league leading ERA will take the mound against Mobile tomorrow night.
Salem Red Sox 3, Lynchburg Hillcats 2
- Todd Cunningham CD - 1-3, 3B, BB, .274 Avg
- Barrett Kleinknecht 3B - 1-4, 2B, .296 Avg
- Braeden Schlehuber C - 2-4, 2B, K, .265 Avg
- Zeke Spruill 7 IP, 6 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2K, 3.91 ERA
In yet another close game the Hillcats offense couldn't scrape together enough runs to win. They threatened in the bottom of the ninth and plated one run but with two outs and L V Ware on first base Todd Cunningham flew out to center field. The Hillcats got zero production from the middle of the order with Phil Gosselin, Joey Terdoslavich and Adam Milligan combining to go 0-10 with a walk. Spruill pitched a solid Spruill-like game though he didn't induce as many ground outs as is typical for him.
Willie Kempf looks to build on a strong outing last time out against former affiliate Myrtle Beach.
Rome Braves 9, Charleston RiverDogs 4
- Matt Lipka SS - 2-6, 2 RBI, K, .250 Avg
- Christian Bethancourt C - 2-5, 2B, .281 Avg
- Edward Salcedo 3B - 2-5, HR(6), .273 Avg
- David Rohm RF - 1-4, HR(3), 3 RBI, .251 Avg
- Ryan Weber 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2.86 ERA
Edward Salcedo continued his resurgence with his third homer in the last week and Christian Bethancourt has his OPS up over .700 now and it is steadily climbing. These two guys alone could drastically change the outlook of our farm system if they both put up solid years - which they are doing. Ryan Weber must have the best sinker in the history of the world. Tonight he put up a 13-1 GB-FB ratio which is fairly absurd.
Aaron Northcraft attempts to continue his early success against the RiverDogs tomorrow.
DSL Blue Jays @ DSL Braves - Postponed