Arodys Vizcaino's outing was about the only standout performance in the Braves organization tonight and as a result his was the only full season team to take home a win. Rome surrendered a lead late to lose the game and Lynchburg never got the offense going against the Blue Rocks.
Gwinnett Braves - Off Day
Brandon Beachy will be making a rehab start for Gwinnett against the Durham Bulls.
Mississippi Braves 3, Jacksonville Suns 1
- Donell Linares 3B - 1-4, 2B, K, .267 Avg
- Ernesto Mejia 1B - 1-3 HR(7), 2 RBI, BB, 2 K, .267 Avg
- Arodys Vizcaino 7.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 9 K, 3.51 ERA
I think Vizcaino's AA adjustment period is over. He threw just 95 pitches in the game and didn't allow his walk until the last batter he faced. At the beginning of the year a lot of people were talking about him having to move to the pen. I don't think it his arsenal or even his stamina that will force him to do that if he does end up there. As always the main question with Arodys is whether he can stay healthy. If so a rotation topped by Hanson, Teheran and Vizcaino sounds very nice.
Randall Delgado takes the hill against the Suns.
Wilmington Blue Rocks 4, Lynchburg Hillcats 3
- Andrelton Simmons SS - 1-5, 2B, K, SB(10), E(14), .295 Avg
- Joey Terdoslavich 1B - 2-4, 3B, RBI, .269 Avg
- Matt Crim 5 IP, 7 H, 2 R(1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 4.87 ERA
- Eliecer Cardenas 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0.75 ERA
Even with the best hitting team in the Carolina League the Hillcats still couldn't muster enough offense against Tim Melville. Joe Leonard struck out four times after showing some signs of life in the past few games. Eliecer Cardenas has been phenomenal as the closer for Lynchburg but he completely imploded in a short trial in AA. At some point he will get another shot with Mississippi, You just can't keep a guy with a sub 1.00 era down for long.
Aaron Shafer gets the ball as he tries to take down the Kinston Indians.
Rome Braves 5, Savannah Sand Gnats 6
- Matt Lipka SS - 3-5, K, E(5), .247 Avg
- Christian Bethancourt C - 2-4, RBI, .303 Avg
- Robert Hefflinger LF - 2-4, 2B, RBI, K, .277 Avg
- Carlos Perez 5 IP, 7 H, 3 R(2 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 5.40 ERA
Carlos Perez pitch just ok in this one but the Braves had the lead for most of the game until Danilo Alvarez allowed the two go ahead runs in the bottom of the 8th inning. Christian Bethancourt continues to impress. He has hits in eight of his last ten games and multiple hits in seven of those contests. He hasn't had an extra base hit in his last give contests but for now I'll just remain happy that he is making good solid contact every time up.
Roan Pacheco will take the mound in the first game of the series against the Lexington Legends.
DSL Tigers 5, DSL Braves 1 - Game 1, 7 Innings
- Emmanuel Daniel RF - 1-3, 2 K, .421 Avg
The Braves scored a run in the first inning on two hits and a walk and managed just two hits for the rest of the game. They struck out eleven times in just seven innings of play. There's not much else to say about this one.
DSL Tigers 0, DSL Braves 7 - Game 2, 7 Innings
- Ibrahim Mckenzie 1B - 0-2, 2 RBI, BB, K, .200 Avg
- Emmanuel Daniel RF - 1-3, RBI, 2 K, .415 Avg
- Eoberto Estrella 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K, 7.42 ERA
If anyone ever asks me why I don't put much stock into the DSL I will point at this game as my first example. The Braves scored seven runs. They had three hits. A pitcher by the name of Montero for the Tigers recorded just one out in the 4th inning and did this:
- Pitcher Change: Miguel Montero replaces Fernando Perez.
- Emmanuel Daniel singles on a ground ball to center fielder Sandy Acevedo.
- With Luis Madrid batting, wild pitch by Miguel Montero, Emmanuel Daniel to 2nd.
- With Luis Madrid batting, wild pitch by Miguel Montero, Emmanuel Daniel to 3rd.
- Luis Madrid walks.
- With Ruben Rijkhof batting, wild pitch by Miguel Montero, Emmanuel Daniel scores. Luis Madrid to 2nd.
- With Ruben Rijkhof batting, wild pitch by Miguel Montero, Luis Madrid to 3rd.
- Ruben Rijkhof walks.
- With Victor Velazquez batting, wild pitch by Miguel Montero, Luis Madrid scores. Ruben Rijkhof to 2nd.
- Victor Velazquez grounds out, second baseman Samuel Ortiz to first baseman Raynolds Guzman. Ruben Rijkhof to 3rd.
- With Elieser Salmeron batting, wild pitch by Miguel Montero, Ruben Rijkhof scores.
- Elieser Salmeron walks.
- Pitcher Change: Rafael Manzanillo replaces Miguel Montero.