No attempts were made on the lives of the TalkingCops at the Lynchburg game today though royhobbs was looking for an actual ban-hammer for protection. Rain chased away the Mississippi game today with Rome and Lynchburg holding on for wins while Gwinnett made a furious rally but eventually fell short.
Gwinnett Braves 6, Lehigh Valley IronPigs 8
- Ed Lucas 2B - 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI, K, .231 Avg
- Brandon Hicks SS - 3-4, .207 Avg
- Dan Nelson PH-2B - 2-3, HR(4), 3 RBI, .288 Avg
- J.J. Hoover 1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 12.60 ERA
J.J. Hoover's second start in Gwinnett didn't go as well as his first one did - and his first one was not good. I wouldn't worry too much about Hoover. He usually requires a little adjustment period before he clicks at a level. In a game that the Braves were down 7-1 after the 3rd inning the outcome appeared bleak. However, the offense came alive in the 6th and 7th innings to bring them within a run before running out of steam. With the loss Gwinnett drops to a game over .500 and are two games behind Durham for the division lead.
Mississippi Braves @ Jackson Generals - PPD due to Rain.
This game has been rescheduled for tomorrow as part of a doubleheader. Game 1 will commence at 12:05 local time.
Potomac Nationals 6, Lynchburg Hillcats 7
- Andrelton Simmons SS - 3-5, 2B, .322 Avg
- Phil Gosselin 2B - 3-5, RBI, K, .252 Avg
- Adam Milligan DH - 1-2, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, .233 Avg
- L.V. Ware CF - 2-3, 2B, RBI, K, .286 Avg
- Cory Rasmus 5.1 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 7 K, 7.09 ERA
- Eliecer Cardenas 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1.06 ERA
In a game that royhobbs, cbwilk, the mighty gondeee and myself all attended (though we all sat separately because we don't like each other) the Hillcats put on a good show. Rasmus was fantastic through five innings (as he is wont to do) but collapsed in the 6th giving up a three run homer that put the Nationals back in the game. His fastball sat
in the low 90s most of the day getting as high as 94 and his breaking ball had good snap on it but he didn't
have much control over the pitch. The Nationals got the game back within one run but Eliecer Cardenas took the hill
in the 9th inning and proceeded to strike out the side with a nasty slider that no one for Potomac could put wood on.
Hickory Crawdads 4, Rome Braves 5
- Matt Lipka 2B - 1-3, 2 RBI, SB(11), .266 Avg
- David Rohm RF - 1-4, 3B, RBI, .250 Avg
- Ryan Weber 4 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 2.08 ERA
- Aaron Northcraft 4 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 5K, 1.50 ERA
Rome has now won six of their last seven games and continue to show an improved offense. These guys are like
the parent club: if they can score five runs or more their pitching will keep them in the game enough to get the win.
Rohm extended his hitting streak and extra base hit streak. Aaron Northcraft -recently added to the roster after a
week long stint with the team earlier in the month - made a solid appearance following up Ryan Weber today. He
has allowed just ten hits and two walks in twelve innings of work while striking out eleven batters and getting
bunches of ground balls. He should be another name to watch on the pitching list.