Gwinnett some big hits and solid bullpen work to carry themselves to a win while Rome had an uncharacteristic offensive explosion behind Edward Slacedo and Matt Lipka. Both Lynchburg and Mississippi lost 4-3.
Rochester Red Wings 4, Gwinnett Braves 7
- Jordan Schafer CF - 1-4, 2B, RBI, BB, 2 K, .263 Avg
- Wilkin Ramirez RF - 3-4, 2B, HR(7), K, .250 Avg
- Cory Gearrin 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2.38 ERA
The Braves offense got ahead early on and the bullpen strung together four innings of one hit ball to give the Braves their second straight win. Wilkin Ramirez continues to make good hard contact - when he makes contact. On the season he has 27 hits and 13 of them have gone for extra bases. This kid is so talented if he could just learn some pitch recognition (easier said than done I know) he could really be something.
Mike Minor will look to continue his dominance against AAA opponents.
Mississippi Braves 3, Jackson Generals 4
- Antoan Richardson CF - 2-3 BB, SB(4), .243 Avg
- Tyler Pastornicky SS - 1-4, 2B, RBI, .305 Avg
- Randall Delgado 4 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 3 K, 2.37 ERA
Randall Delgado racked up 88 pitches in just four innings of workand poor defense plagued the bullpen with all their runs allowed being of the unearned variety. As a whole the pitching staff surrendered nine walks for the game while the offense worked just two out of the opposing pitchers. Tyler Pastornicky continues to be the best hitter on this team and is looking more and more to be a viable replacement option in Atlanta.
Brett Oberholtzer will look to give the Braves a needed win against Jackson.
Lycnhburg Hillcats 3, Kinston Indians 4
- Todd Cunningham CF - 3-5, .298 Avg
- Adam Milligan RF - 2-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI, K, .226 Avg
- Barrett Kleinknecht 3B - 2-4, K, .359 Avg
Todd Cunningham got very hot for about two weeks and then cooled off a bit but he has collected five hits in his last two games to bring his average back up to .298. Chris Masters has now given up nine runs in his last 10 innings of work. This is similar to what happened to him last season. He started very well - he started the All Star game - and then the league caught up to him and his second half numbers left a lot to be desired. Hopefully this is just a blip on the radar and he will ragain his form next time out.
Dimaster Delgado will take the mound for seemingly the 100th time this season tomorrow against Potomac.
Rome Braves 12, Asheville Tourists 6
- Matt Lipka 2B, 3-6, 2B, RBI, .261 Avg
- Edward Salcedo 3B - 2-, HR(3), 3 RBI, BB, E(14), .293 Avg
- Chris Garcia DH - 2-5, 2 2B, 3 RBI, K, .308 Avg
- David Rohm RF - 3-5, 2B, 3 RBI, K, .241 Avg
- Carlos Perez 6 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 BB, 5 K, 4.59 ERA
Rome's offense got going early and had this game pretty much sewn up in the first inning. Lipka doubled to lead off the game (five doubles in his last 14 ABs) followed by an Elmer Reyes hit -by-pitch and then Salcedo hit a 3-run homer. The Braves scored seven total in the inning. On a night when Carlos Perez didn't have his best stuff it is nice to see the offense pick him up in a big way.
David Filak will look to right his season against Hickory tomorrow night.