Randall Delgado was named the Southern League Pitcher of the Week and followed that award up with his third win of the season, striking out 10 in the process. Unfortunately Jacob Thompson's start for Gwinnett wasn't as good, as he failed to get out of the first inning.
- Jordan Schafer CF 1-4, BB, .270 AVG
- Mauro Gomez 1B 3-4, .393 AVG
- Stefan Gartrell RF 2-4, 2B, RBI, OF Assist, .250 AVG
- Wilkin Castillo C 2-4, 3B, .203 AVG
- Jacob Thompson 0.1 IP, 5 ER, 2 H, 4 BB, 0 K, 7.03 ERA
- Jose Lugo 4.2 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 0.77 ERA
Jacob Thompson had the worst start of any Braves pitchers all season tonight, as just 8 of his 26 pitches went for strikes, while he walked 4 and allowed 5 earned runs while only recording 1 out. Thompson has had a rough go in his first taste of AAA, with a 7.03 ERA, a 2.06 WHIP, 11.8 H/9, and 6.7 BB/9 in 24.1 innings. Jose Lugo relieved him, allowing just 1 run in 4.2 innings, and while he has a fantastic 0.77 ERA, but a fairly ugly 1.68 WHIP in 11.2 innings this season. Mauro Gomez just keeps on hitting. Stats don't even do his work justice. Stefan Gartrell extended his hitting streak to 5 games, going 7-20 with 2 doubles and 2 homers in that span.
Mike Minor will take on the Paw Sox tomorrow.
Mississippi Braves 7, Jackson Generals 6
- Marcus Lemon 2B 2-4, RBI, .279 AVG
- Ernesto Mejia 1B 2-4, 2 RBI, .308 AVG
- Randall Delgado 7 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 10 K, W (3), 2.75 ERA
Randall Delgado was named the Southern League Pitcher of the Week for last week, and he followed that up with a great start, striking out 10 over 7 innings whiile picking up his third win of the season. The 21 year old was solid in 8 AA starts last year, but he's excelled through 39.1 innings this season, with a 2.75 ERA, a 1.22 WHIP, 7.6 H/9, 3.4 BB/9, and 9.4 K/9. Ben Swaggerty had a successful Braves debut, striking out 2 while pitching a perfect eighth.
Lefty Brett Oberholtzer gets the Tuesday start against the Generals.
Lynchburg Hillcats - Off
Matt Crim will get the start tomorrow as the team begins a series against the Frederick Keys.
Rome Braves 3, Augusta Greenjackets 4, 13 innings
- Chris Garcia 1B 3-6, HR (1), 2 RBI, E (1), .214 AVG
- Jakob Dalfonso DH 3-5, .297 AVG
- David Rohm RF 2-3, 2 SAC, SB (2), .248 AVG
- Carlos Perez 7 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 7 K, 4.38 ERA
- Danilo Alvarez 3 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 5 K, 3.52 ERA
Carlos Perez had a rough stretch in his last 3 starts, allowing 14 earned runs in 17 innings, but he got back on track tonight, allowing just 1 earned run over 7 innings, striking out 7 along the way. Even when he's struggled, Perez has kept his walks in check, averaging just 2.3 per 9 innings this season, good for a 4.1 K/BB ratio. Danilo Alvarez was fantastic in middle relief, striking out 5 over 3 perfect innings. In the bottom of the 13th, after 2 intentional walks loaded the bases with the hope of creating a forceout or double play, Chasen Shreve threw a wild pitch that allowd Augusta's winning run to score. Chris Garcia broke out in his third game for Rome, rapping out 3 hits, including a solo homer.
David Filak will take on the Greenjackets tomorrow.