Phil Gosselin had 3 hits tonight for Lynchburg.
Stephen Marek ran into trouble for the first time this season, multiple hit games by Phil Gosselin and Braeden Schlehuber can't seal a victory for the Hillcats, and Caleb Brewer's control problems prevent Rome from taking the win.
Gwinnett Braves 5, Columbus Clippers 8
- Jordan Schafer CF 1-4, 2 RBI, .250 AVG
Matt Young 2B 1-3, 3B, RBI, .333 AVG
- JC Boscan C 1-1, 3 BB, .233 AVG
- Rodrigo Lopez 5.2 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, 9 H, 1 BB, 6 K, 1.67 ERA
Stephen Marek gave up his first runs of the season, and unfortunately they came with the score tied in the 9th. The righty allowed the Clippers to score 3 runs in the top of the inning and took the loss as the G-Braves couldn't score in the bottom of the frame. Rodrigo Lopez had another decent start, allowing 3 runs, only 2 earned, though he did allow 10 baserunners. Jordan Schafer drove in JC Boscan twice, once with a sacrifice bunt and the other time with a single. Boscan had a great day, reaching base all 4 times he came to the plate, 3 times on walks.
Mississippi Braves 6, Huntsville Stars 4
- Tyler Pastornicky SS 2-4, RBI, BB, .272 AVG
- Donell Linares 3B 2-4, RBI, .286 AVG
- Ernesto Mejia 1B 1-5, HR (5), RBI, .310 AVG
- Cory Harrilchak RF 1-2, 2 BB, SB (4), .220 AVG
- Gerry Rodriguez LF 2-4, 2 2B, RBI, .204 AVG
- Matt Kennelly C 2-3, RBI, BB, .273 AVG
- Brett Oberholtzer 6.2 IP, 3 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 6 K, W (2), 2.37 ERA
Brett Oberholtzer had another solid start, striking out 6 over 6.2 innings while allowing 3 earned. Through 30.1 innings, he has a 2.37 ERA, a 0.96 WHIP, and 4.7 K/BB. Donell Linares extended his hitting streak to 5 games, going 8-19 in that span. After a rough start, Cory Harrilchak has a 5 game hitting streak going, with 6 hits in 19 at bats in those games.
Paul Clemens will take on the Stars Saturday night.
Lynchburg Hillcats 0, Kinston Indians 2
- Phil Gosselin 2B 3-4, 2 2B, .261 AVG
- Braeden Schlehuber C 3-3, .211 AVG
- Matt Crim 7 IP, 2 ER, 8 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 2.41 ERA
Phil Gosselin had 3 hits tonigh, including a pair of doubles and in his last 10 he's been erasing his poor start, with a .342 average and a .807 OPS. Braeden Schlehuber also had 3 hits, and when you add in his single from yesterday he doubled his season hit total in the last two days. Matt Crim took the loss in his second start of the year, but he pitched very well, allowing just 2 runs over 7 innings.
Lefty Dimasther Delgado will face the Indians in the second game of the series Saturday.
Rome Braves 5, Asheville Tourists 6
- Kyle Rose CF 0-2, 3 BB, 2 SB (1, 2), .289 AVG
- Christian Bethancourt C 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, .222 AVG
- David Rohm RF 1-4, 2 RBI, .253 AVG
- Barrett Kleinknecht 1B-3B 2-4, 2B, RBI, .289 AVG
- Caleb Brewer 6 IP, 5 R, 3 ER, 4 H, 5 BB, 3 K, 3.03 ERA
Walks continue to plague Caleb Brewer, as he gave out 5 free passes in 6 innings tonight. He's given up 17 in 29.2 innings this year, good for a scary 5.2 BB/9. Kyle Rose reached base on 3 walks and stole his first 2 bases of the season. Christian Bethancourt extended his hitting streak to 7 games, going 9-25 with a double, a triple, and 6 RBI in that span.
Steve Kent gets the start Saturday night as the R-Braves take on the Hagerstown Bryce Harpers, formerly known as the Hagerstown Suns.