Gwinnett 1, Durham 4, 11 innings
- M. Gomez 1B 1-4, 2B, .375 AVG
- S. Bowman 3B, 1-4, 2B, .235 AVG
- M. Minor 6 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 5 K, 1.50 ERA
- C. Gearrin 2 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 3.52 ERA
Mike Minor had another great start for Gwinnett, fanning six and allowing just 1 run on a hmoer by perennial Bull Justin Ruggiano. In 2 starts Minor has struck out 14 and walked just 2 in 12 innings. Unfortunately, the offense could only muster 4 hits and Ruggiano victimized Anthony Vavaro in the bottom of the 11th for a walkoff 3 run homer.
Veteran Rodrigo Lopez will take the mound Monday as the team heads to Norfolk.
Mississippi 5, Birmingham 6
- T. Pastornicky SS 1-3, BB, E (3), .342 AVG
- D. Linares DH 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, .286 AVG
- CJ Retherford 3B 1-4, 2 RBI, .174 AVG
- R. Delgado 6.2 IP, 3 R, 2 ER, 8 H, 2 BB, 6 K, 1.62 ERA
This game looked like it was going to be a stellar pitching matchup, with former Cy Young winner Jake Peavy facing top prospect Randall Delgado, but Peavy was taken out of the game after just 15 pitches when he experienced discomfort in his arm. Delgado held up his end of the bargain, allowing just 2 earned over 6.2 innings, putting the M-Braves in a great position to win. Unfotunately the bullpen blew it, with Luis Avilan allowing 2 runs to tie the game in the bottom of the 9 and then Billy Bullock allowing the winning run to score on a wild pitch. Donell Linareds extending his hitting streak to 6 games, and he's gone 8-22 with 2 doubles, 2 homers, and 8 RBI in that span.
Lefty Brett Oberholtzer will take the mound Tuesday as the series continues against the Barons.
Lynchburg 5, Salem 16
- P. Gosselin 2B 2-4, 2B, RBI, E (4), .200 AVG
- A. Milligan RF 1-3, HR (2), RBI, BB, .346 AVG
- J. Terdoslavich 1B, 2-4, 2 HR (3, 4), 2 RBI, .226 AVG
- W. Kempf 3.1 IP, 12 R, 11 ER, 11 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 14.04 ERA
The woes continued for Lynchburg, as the team dropped its eighth straight game and starter Willie Kempf allowed 11 earned runs in just 3.1 innings. Relievers Andrew Wilson, Chris Masters, and Jason Lowey managed to stop the bleeding, allowing just 1 earned run over 5.2 innings, though Wilson was credited with 3 unearned runs stemming from a Joe Leonard error. On the bright side, Joe Terdoslavich had his second 2 homer game in 3 days. In those 3 games he's goine 6-12 with 2 doubles, 4 homers, and 4 RBI, good for a .500 average and a 1.667 OPS. Adam Milligan stayed hot, hitting his second homer of the year and taking his first walk.
Dimasther Delgado will make his second start of the season Tuesday.
Rome 2, Charleston 8
- M. Lipka SS 1-4, BB, SB (5), .260 AVG
- B. Kleinknecht 1B 2-5, 2B, HR (3), RBI, .280 AVG
- E. Salcedo 3B 1-4, E (5), .349 AVG
- R. Flores RF 2-4, 2B, .152 AVG
- K. Rose CF 2-4, .385 AVG
- C. Brewer 5 IP, 2 ER, 2 , 4 BB, 5 K, 2.16 ERA
Caleb Brewer had a solid start, allowing 2 runs over 5 innings, but he also continued his trend of control problems, walking 4. For the season he has 9 walks compared to 13 strikeouts, after having 26 walks and 24 strikeouts last season in 40.2 innings. He's a fairly effective pitcher, so you can only imagine how good he'd be if he could find better control. In his last 4 games, Matt Lipka is 7-18 with 3 walks and 3 steals. Barrett Kleinknecht hit his second homer in as many days, extending his hitting streak to 6 games. Over that span he's gone 9-27 with 2 doubles, a triple, 2 homers, and 6 RBI.
Steve Kent takes the mound Tuesday as the R-Braves head to Greensboro.