Gwinnett 5, Lehigh Valley 2 - 10 Innings
- F. Freeman 2-5 2 RBI, .306 Avg
- J.C. Boscan 2-3 2B, BB, .251 Avg
- B. Beachy 7IP 3H 2R 1BB 4K 3.18 ERA
- C. Kimbrel 1IP 0H 0R 1BB 0K 1.64 ERA
Freddie Freeman just keeps getting the job done racking up RBIs 70 & 71 tonight. I will give everyone 2 gusses who will be sitting atop the hotsheet tomorrow. Brandon Beachy - like fellow farmhand Julio Teheran - has made the adjustment to AAA without any hiccups. The biggest concern voiced about Beachy moving to the rotation was how far he would be able to pitch after having relieved for most of his career. Tonight he went 7 innings on just 84 pitches so I think we can put that to rest. Craig Kimbrel has quietly racked up 17 saves for Gwinnett this season.
Mississippi 8, Birmingham 1
- T. Pastornicky 2-4 RBI, BB, K, 2 SB(8), .233 Avg
- J. Sucre 3-5 2B, HR(2), 3 RBI, K, .300 Avg
- T. Gustafson 5IP 4H 1R 2BB 2K 3.99 ERA
- R. Sullivan 3IP 0H 0R 1BB 2K 5.47 ERA
Richard Sullivan and Jacob Thompson have had eerily similar seasons with their ups and downs almost mirroring each other. Right now that is a good thing because both guys are pitching really well with more strike outs and less base runners allowed for both pitchers. I am a little worried about Willie Cabrera. Since his demotion back to AA he has picked up just one hit in 16 ABs. Willie is my boy though and he will turn it around. Cody Johnson went 0-5 with 3K.
Potomac 4, Myrtle Beach 3
- My. Jones 1-2 2 RBI, BB, K, SB(13), .275 Avg
- M. Kennelly 3-4 .212 Avg
There wasn't a whole lot going on in this one. Brett Oberholtzer wasn't bad as the starter but he wasn't fantastic either and the offense was held in check by a bunch of relievers with 4.00+ ERAs. Mycal Jones - in essentially the same amount of playing time - has been essentially the same player in Myrtle Beach that he was in Rome. The difference is his hot streak in Myrtle Beach came right when he got there and he has been just mediocre since while in Rome his hot streak happened right before he was promoted.
Rome 6, Greenville 4
- P. Gosselin 3-4 BB, K, CS(2), .324 Avg
- T. Cunningham 3-5 2B, RBI, K, .262 Avg
- J. Leonard 3-5 2B, 3 RBI, K, .289 Avg
- R. Weber 6IP 6H 4R 1BB 1K 6.75 ERA
My boy Ryan Weber was promoted back to Rome and while he didn't collect a bunch of Ks he did his thing collecting 11 fly outs vs just 5 ground outs. He was helped out by the Braves stock of college draftees at the top of the order who combined to go 9-14. Most impressive.
Danville 0, Burlington 4
- E. Reyes 1-4 2B, .279 Avg
- A. Northcraft 6.1IP 5H 3R 1BB 4K 2.89 ERA
A very poor offensive showing for the Danville Braves lead to a wasted outing by Aaron Northcraft. Elmer Reyes collected 2 of the Braves 4 hits out of the #2 spot in the order. He now has multi-hit games in 4 of his last 6 appearances.
GCL Braves - Off
DSL Braves 2, DSL Tigers 0
- R. Luna 2-3 BB, .316 Avg
- H. Garcia 1-1 2 RBI, BB, SB(15), .255 Avg
- A. Espinosa 6IP 4H 0R 1BB 4K 1.37 ERA
Would-be high school sophomore Abraham Espinosa continues to murdalate the DSL. He has now gone 5 appearances without allowing an earned run (he has allowed 9 unearned runs during that span). I guess that is ok.