Gwinnett 11, Lehigh Valley 7
- M. Young 2-4 2B, .293 Avg
- F. Freeman 4-5 2 2B, 3 RBI, .305 Avg
- W. Ramirez 2-5 2B, HR(6), 2 RBI, K, .219 Avg
- B. Hicks 2-4 2B, HR(6), 2K, .216 Avg
- K. Kawakami 2.2IP 5H 1R 1BB 1K 3.38 ERA
I think I am about ready to hop on the Free Freddie Freeman bandwagon. His OPS is over 1.000 since the all star break and he has 9 hits in his last 3 games. The dude is destroying baseballs and really exceeding all expectations I had for him this season. Wilkin Ramirez also had a solid game tonight though I'm not sure I have much faith in his plate discipline going forward. Kenshin Kawakami's attempt to
showcase stretch himself out was so-so and I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone in two weeks.
Mississippi 3, Birmingham 5
- A. Richardson 2-4 K, .302 Avg
- T. Pastornicky 1-4 2B, RBI, K, .217 Avg
- E. Duncan 1-4 HR(7), 2 RBI, K, .280 Avg
- J. Teheran 6IP 3H 0R 1BB 7K 2.76 ERA
Julio Teheran appears to have made the adjustment to the Southern League. Unfortunately for Julio's win column, Yeliar Castro is going to need more than 2 games as he gave up 5 runs in less than an inning of work in relief of Teheran. If any of you are keeping track Cody Johnson has 1 hit since returning to Mississippi after his stint on the DL. That is 1 hit in 26 AB with 17 K.
Potomac 1, Myrtle Beach 6 - Game 1
- My. Jones 1-4 2B, RBI, K, .272 Avg
- C. Harrilchak 2-3 3B, RBI, .290 Avg
- G. Rodriguez 2-2 2 RBI, BB, .243 Avg
- Z. Spruill 7IP 5H 1R 0BB 5K 4.67 ERA
Zeke Spruill made his longest outing of the season his best one as he continues to show the polish that got us so excited last season. He has allowed just 3 walks in his 34+ innings of work to go along with 23K. The K rate isn't quite what I like but that command is pretty nice and his ability to go deep in tonight's game is an excellent sign. Gerry Rodriguez stays hot as he has collected 7 hits in his last 4 games.
Potomac 4, Myrtle Beach 3
- L. Sumoza 1-1 2B, 2 BB, .225 Avg
- C. Rasmus 5IP 5H 1R 3BB 2K 2.81 ERA
Cory Rasmus continues to impress though his K rate is (unsurprisingly) down from his time in Rome. He is probably the biggest surprise of the season for me considering I expected very little from a guy that had missed nearly two seasons resulting from injuries. He is another nice addition to our fantastic pitching depth.
Rome 6, Greenville 12
- P. Gosselin 2-5 RBI, .313 Avg
- C. Bethancourt 3-4 2B, RBI, CS(1), .260 Avg
- E. Salcedo 1-4 HR(1), 2 RBI, K, .208 Avg
Brett DeVall laid an egg tonight allowing 10 earned runs in 6 innings of work. He allowed 13 hits 6 of which went for extra bases. Edward Salcedo did get his first HR in Rome and continues to flash some XBH hit power even when he isn't making solid contact. Christian Bethancourt is hitting .321 so far in August and has three 3-hit games in his last 6. He also has three no-hit games during that span, but let's not focus on that.
Danville 2, Kingsport 6
- J. Dalfonso 2-4 RBI, .372 Avg
- E. Gattis 1-4 2B,.326 Avg
- D, Filak 6IP 6H 2R 1BB 5K 2.50 ERA
David Filak pitched well in this game but Matt Suschak didn't and it was all the difference in the score. Evan Gattis continues to rake the ball and probably should be promoted, but as we discussed yesterday, there is a bit of a logjam with catchers in the lower minors. Jakob Dalfonso is currently on a 14 game hitting streak that has seen him raise his average about 90 points. He hasn't flashed a ton of power during that span, but he isn't striking out much and he is still just 20 years old. He might be a guy to keep an eye on.
DSL Braves - Off