Toledo 2, Gwinnett 1
- N. McLouth 1-4 HR(4), .273 Avg
- B. Canizares 1-3 .323 Avg
- S. Diamond 6IP 7H 1R 2BB 1K 3.27 ERA
The Braves had quite a pitcher's duel on their hands in this one with Scott Diamond pitching around trouble for most of the night. He left men in scoring position in 3 different innings and in the 6th he picked off two different runners off of first. Nate McLouth has hit 3 leadoff homers in the last week. If he had shown this kind of power with Atlanta he would have at least had some value. After his HR the Braves only had two more at bats during the game with runners in scoring position and, obviously, they didn't capitalize.
Mobile 4, Mississippi 1
- T. Pastornicky 2-4 2 2B, K, SB(8),.228 Avg
- E. Cordier 5IP 8H 3R 3BB 3K 3.88 ERA
Eric Cordier missed out on his bid to become a 10 game winner as he labored through 5 innings throwing 95 pitches (just 53 strikes) before exiting. Tyler Pastornicky busted out of his slump with a big game that saw him double his XBH total since joining Mississippi and pick up his first steal since July 26th. Too bad you can't steal first.
Myrtle Beach 12, Kinston 2
- My. Jones 1-4 RBI, BB, 2 SB(12), .283 Avg
- C. Harrilchak 2-5 RBI, 3 K, .294 Avg
- G. Rodriguez 1-5 HR(9), 3 RBI, 2K, .232 Avg
- L. Sumoza 1-2 3 BB, K, .224 Avg
- S. Sime 2-4 HR(5), 4 RBI, BB, K, .259 Avg
- B. Oberholtzer 5IP 3H 1R 1BB 5K 4.54 ERA
This game was a completion from yesterday's suspended action and the Pelicans' bats picked up right where they left off yesterday. Gerry Rodriguez just recently came back from his 50 game suspension but he is still 2nd on the team in HR behind Dan Nelson who has played in 27 more games than him. I've always liked him but he does have some pretty serious holes in his offensive game and the 50 game suspension isn't helping things either. He will need to do some serious work to get back into my good graces.
Myrtle Beach 0, Kinston 1 - 7 Innings
- P. Clemens 5IP 1H 0R 0BB 9K 3.15 ERA
Apparently the Pelicans used all their offense up in the first game because there was none to be had here. That is a sad occurrence indeed since Paul Clemens was fan-freaking-tastic. We often say here that Clemens has a very good arm but he had failed to convert that talent into success. So far this year that hasn't been the case. He was solid in Rome and (according to his peripherals at least) he has been a little bit better in Myrtle Beach though just a bit unlucky. I don't know if it is the move to the bullpen full time or if something has clicked with him, but Clemens has put himself back on radar.
Savannah 4, Rome 7
- J. Leonard 2-4 2B, 2 RBI, .296 Avg
- RSF 2-5 2B, RBI, .287 Avg
- C. Bethancourt 3-5 RBI, .263 Avg
Rome takes their second game from Savannah using the same philosophy as the major league club: get a bunch of men on and maybe someone will get home. Christian Bethancourt has 6 hits in his last 9 ABs and is starting to show himself to be a fairly streaky hitter. Joe Leonard continues to rack up the XBH (10 out of 21 hits in Rome) but refuses to take a walk. Chris Masters started this game well but ended up allowing 4 runs and has slowly spiraled down as the season has progressed.
Bluefield 1, Danville 4
- B. Kleinknecht 2-4 2B, .296 Avg
- J. Terdoslavich 3-4 2 2B, RBI, .281 Avg
- E. Reyes 2-4 2B, 2 RBI, BB, .274 Avg
- R. Pacheco 7IP 4H 1R 4BB 4K 5.74 ERA
Robert Pacheco wasn't as good as his last start but he was still good, and that was good enough. Barrett Kleinknecht and Joey Terdoslavich have had some ups and downs for Danville but both appear to be trending upwards. Kleinknecht has shown some pop, like Joe Leonard, but little aptitude for taking a walk, also like Joe Leonard. Terdoslavich has shown less power but more on base ability than BK. Both guys will be interesting cases to keep an eye on going forward. Elmer Reyes also keeps catching my eye.
GCL Phillies 1, GCL Braves 5
- M. Lipka 2-3 K, SB(14), .316 Avg
- C. Brownsten 1-2 HR(2), 2 RBI, 2BB, K, .318 Avg
Matt Lipka had his first multi-hit game since July 24th. He has cooled a bit but I do love this kid. Cory Brownsten is probably a little old for the GCL but he is owning it like he should. Maybe we can catch lightening in a bottle with him.
DSL Tigers 6, DSL Braves 2
- R. Luna 2-3 BB, SB(6), .314 Avg
- A. Alcantara 1-3 2B, BB, K, .280 Avg
- A. Nin 6IP 5H 2R 0BB 8K 5.45 ERA
Amable Nin might be the best name in the minors right now.