Gwinnett 6, Charlotte 8
- M. Young 3-4 2 2B, BB, 3 SB(30), .297 Avg
- F. Freeman 1-4 HR(17), 2 RBI, BB, K,.309 Avg
- J. Thurston 2-4 HR(10), 2 RBI, K, .259 Avg
- W. Ramirez 1-4 HR(7), .214 Avg
Matt Young had one of the best all around nights of the season from any Braves hitter. He collected both his 30th double and 30th stolen base of the season which makes him one of 4 guys in the minors with that distinction and the only guy above Low A to have pulled it off. Matt Young is really making his case to get a shot with the big club next season. Freddie Freeman continues to hit on days ending in 'Y'.
Mississippi 2, Tennessee 7
- E. Duncan 1-4 HR(8), 2 RBI, 2K .278 Avg
- JJ. Hoover 4.2IP 7H 4R 5BB 7K 7.71 ERA
J. J. Hoover made his first start in AA and he looked good through the first three innings striking out 5. After that he gave up a couple of extra base hits and allowed a few runs to cross. He was uncharacteristically wild and it ran up his pitch count. Eric Duncan provided the only offense with his 2 run homer in the first inning.
Kinston 7, Myrtle Beach 8
- S. Sime 2-5 2B, 2 RBI, K, .258 Avg
- C. Johnson 1-4 RBI, 3K, .308 Avg
- J. Kreke 2-4 2B, RBI, K, .238 Avg
The Pelicans battled all game getting 2 runs in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 9th innings with Samuel Sime driving in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th. The pitching staff wasn't super effective with Matt Crim giving up 5 runs in 5 innings and Andrew Wilson giving up 2 runs in 2.1 innings of work. Luis Avilan worked 1.2 innings of relief to earn himself the vulture win.
West Virginia 4, Rome 3
- K. Rose 1-3 BB, K, SB(22), CS(21), .269 Avg
- R. Hefflinger 2-3 2 2B, BB, .248 Avg
- D. Francis 4IP 2H 0R 1BB 8K 3.18 ERA
Kyle Rose did his thing again in this game though the caught stealing numbers are still a little worrying. Ihave faith that he can convert that raw speed, but it may take some time. Someone had a list the other day with David Francis on it saying we should give up on him. Really? The guy has been back and forth between two levels this year and hasn't been terrible at either one. Sure he is a reliever long term but he has a good arm and racks up the Ks.
Greeneville 4, Danville 9
- J. Dalfonso 2-4 2B, BB, .308 Avg
- B. Kleinknecht 2-4 HR(5), BB, K, .313 Avg
- J. Whitmer 2-4 HR(1), .286 Avg
- A. Simmons 3-5 2B, RBI, .252 Avg
- K. Fleming 2-4 3 RBI, 2K, .217 avg
Barrett Kleinknecht continues his hot month with another big day. For the month he has a .901 OPS on top of a .350 average. I don't know what to expect from him long term but I am intrigued enough by his bat. The biggest question with him is the same one we have to ask about all the other bats we drafted this year: how much power will he develop? I fear that Andrelton Simmons has hit just enough for the Braves to try him back at SS next season when I think he is going to end up on the mound eventually.
GCL Blue Jays 6, GCL Braves 2
- V. Cadette 1-3 HR(2), .216 Avg
- C. Rohrbough 2IP 1H 0R 0BB 4K
I know it is only in Rookie ball, but any success I see Cole Rohrbough have I get excited about. The guy has a fantastic arm and whatever issues have plagued him for the last 2 seasons I hope he has straightened out. I look forward to him returning to full action next season and wish him luck on his return to prospect..hood..dom..stuff.
DSL Rangers 0, DSL Braves 4
- L. Caballero 1-4 3B, 3K, .212 Avg
- E. Garcia 6IP 4H 0R 0BB 5K 1.34 ERA
So the DSL team has gone from a bunch of guys that I don't really know anything about and can't find much info on, to their B team. So there's the game result!