That was a pretty crazy game.
The Natinals got on the board first in the 1st inning on a sac fly from Ryan Zimmerman that scored Nyjer Morgan. Their lead didn't last long, as Omar Infante hit a 2-run HR in the top of the 2nd off former Brave Luis Atilano. Then it was the Nats turn to score and it came courtesy of an Ian Desmond HR. After the homer, Nyjer Morgan doubled in Roger Bermida making the score 3-2 after only 2 innings.
It was then the Braves turn to score and it came via a RBI single from Chipper Jones. After a scoreless 4th, Troy Glaus put the Braves on top 4-3 in the 5th with a RBI groundout to shortstop, scoring Martin Prado from 3rd.
The Nats battled back in the bottom half of the inning when Pudge Rodriguez drove in Adam Kenedy from 2nd. The Nats had runners on 1st and 2nd in the inning, but failed to score after the Rodriguez single.
Nate McLouth didn't waste any time in the 6th inning by driving in Matt Diaz with a RBI-double down the right field line. Martin Prado then grounded out weakly to the shortstop Desmond which scored Omar Infante from 3rd. The Braves led 6-4 after 6 innings.
The Natinals wouldn't go away without a fight. In the 8th inning, Takashi Saito struggled and gave up a 2-RBI single from pinch hitter Josh Willingham to tie the game at 6.
After a scoreless 9th inning, Troy Glaus showed off his singles POWAH and reached 1st to lead off the 10th inning for the Braves. Recently called up shortstop Brandon Hicks pinch-ran for Glaus and was moved over to 2nd on a beautiful sacrifice bunt from Melky Cabrera. The hittin' fool Matt Diaz drove in Hicks with a RBI-single to RF to put the Braves up 7-6.
Billy Wagner gave up a leadoff single in the 10th to Cristian Guzman, but then got Desmond to fly out to right, Nieves to strike out on a filthy slider and Willingham to pop out to LF to end the game.
Braves win 7-6!
The only bad news of the night came when Jason Heyward left the game in the 2nd inning. He ripped a ball up the middle that was caught by Ian Desmond, but didn't return after. Initial reports are he tweaked his groin and could miss a few days.
The Good, Bad and Ugly after the jump.
1. Scoring 7 runs without Jason Heyward in the lineup - WOOOOOOO!
2. Matt Diaz - Is the hittin' fool back?! He went 2-for-4 and scored the go ahead run in the 6th and drove in the winning run in the 10th. Great to see MattyD swing the bat well tonight.
3. The Bullpen (minus Saito) - 3IP 1H 0ER 1BB/3K
4. Omar Infante - 2-for-4 w/ a BB, HR(1) 2RBI; Great night for Omar at the plate and an even better night in the field.
5. Chipper Jones - 2-for-3, 2BBs 1RBI; maybe Grandpa Jones is coming around.
6. Tommy Hanson - 6IP 9H 4ER 2BB/5K 1HR; this was a tough one. Tommy and KK both had similar starts and both pitched well enough to win. Neither one did, but they both kept the Braves in the game.
1. Jason Heyward's injury - It should only keep him out a day or two, but the Braves desperately need Jay Hey to be in the lineup. Get that groin feeling better soon you stud.
1. Brian McCann - 0-for-4 1BB/3K - What in the world is going on with BMac?
2. Takashi Saito - 1IP 2H 2R, BS(1)
3. Tommy Hanson's swing/bunting - Hide the children!
Open Thread Comment Count: 2,296 -- Holy Heyward. Nice work TC.