Here's a look at the major stories in the world of thefor the week ending on January 17th:
- The AJC's Jeff Schultz thinks the Braves are not as good as they were a year ago... I disagree.
- The Johnny Damon saga continued with a report that the Braves were one of the teams who had made him an offer, then that was dismissed, then one beat writer thinks we're still hot in the running for Damon, but another beat writer doesn't think so. Finally, we learned that we were the only team left with "reported" interest in Damon.
Greg Maddux chose to join the Cubs front office instead of the Braves' front office. The Royals also hired former Braves' coach Ned Yost.
- The Braves officially signed Eric Hinske. Brandon Jones was the player DFA'ed to make room for him on the 40-man roster.
- Dale Murphy responded to the Mark McGwire steroid admission.
- The Brave signed former reliever Chris Resop to a minor league contract.
- The Braves avoided arbitration with Melky Cabrera, as the two sides agreed on a one-year $3.1 million contract.
- I interviewed the Braves VP of Sales and Marketing about the upcoming Braves Caravan.
- The Braves fan confidence got a boost this week.
- Talking Chop finally has a welcome guide and some comment and posting guides and tips.
- mvhsbball worries what the Braves might do if Jason Heyward struggles.
- ryan c passes along the Bill James' predictions for the Braves projected lineup.
- GoBravesNY lists all of the nicknames for Braves players that readers of Talking Chop have.
- GSU Vol thinks that Kenshin Kawakami should be nicknamed K2.
- mvhsbball lists all of the moves that the Braves have made this off-season.