Are you a big fan of Jason Heyward? How about Cody Johnson? Do you think they'll be in an Atlanta Braves uniform one day? And for how long? Since 2000, how many first round picks would you say the Braves still have in their organization? Counting first rounders and supplemental first rounders here is a list:
- 2000 - 2 first rounders, 2 supplemental - Adam Wainwright traded to the Cardinals
- 2001 - 2 first rounders, 1 supplemental - Macay McBride traded to the Tigers, Richard Lewis traded to the Cubs
- 2002 - 1 first, 1 supplemental - Jeff Francoeur traded to the Mets, Dan Meyer to the Athletics
- 2003 - 2 supplemental - Luis Atilano traded to the Nationals, Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Rangers
- 2004 - no first rounders
- 2005 - 1 first, 1 supplemental - Joey Devine traded to the Athletics, Beau Jones to the Rangers
- 2006 - 1 first, 2 supplemental - no trades, but Steve Evarts has already been released
- 2007 - 1 first, 1 supplemental - Jon Gilmore traded to the White Sox
Of all the first rounders and supplemental first rounders we've drafted since 2000, only one, Kelly Johnson, is still in the majors with Atlanta, and he is on the disabled list. Furthermore, he and Chipper Jones (1990) are the only ones still in the organization of those first rounders drafted before 2006. From 2000 to 2007, 10 of the Braves 18 first round picks were traded!
I'm not sure if there is any analysis that can be gleaned from this list, other than the fact that the Braves certainly aren't afraid to use their prospects to acquire major league talent. I'm not all that familiar with other organization's minor league talent, but I would posit that there isn't another organization that comes close to trading away more than 50% of their first round picks over the course of nine years.