There have been a lot of unconditional releases of players with some degree of past talent this spring. Should the Braves pursue any of these guys to bolster their left field ranks or their bench?
- Gary Sheffield: He's familiar to the Braves and their fans, after spending one good and another really good year in Atlanta. At 40-years old is he still the power threat he used to be, and is he still a guy who can play without the use of the DH? He was pretty pitiful last year, as all his averages were down, and his strikeouts were up. He hit a weak .178 this spring, but with three homeruns and a lot of walks, while keeping his strikeouts under control.
- Geoff Jenkins: Like Sheffield, Jenkins' spring has been pretty anemic, but he has shown some power and ability to hit. Jenkins has never been a prodigious power bat, and he likes the DL as much as anyone, but if we're looking for power he may at least provide more than Garret Anderson.
- Dallas McPherson: His major league numbers are pretty awful, but it's hard to ignore two seasons in the minors where he's collected 40 or more homeruns, including last year. It's been suggested that he could backup Chipper and play some outfield, but is he anything more than a Russel Branyan, Mike Hessman, or Wes Helms -type player?
- Mike Lamb: If we're considering backup third-baseman who have been recently released, then we have to consider Lamb, who just got dumped by the Brewers. He's a perrinnial backup, but he's shown in the past he can hit for some power and get on base at a decent rate.
- Wily Mo Pena: If Jim Bowden were our GM, he's be on our team (but thank God he's not our GM). Pena's got power, but not much plate discipline. He's probably more of a project than we need.
It's my assertion that we don't really need any of these guys, as our bench is pretty solid and salary is already being taken up by exisiting left fielders and backups. What do you guys think?
Should the Braves pursue any of these recently released players?
Gary Sheffield (390 votes)
Geoff Jenkins (29 votes)
Dallas McPherson (187 votes)
Mike Lamb (82 votes)
Wily Mo Pena (45 votes)
None, we're set with the guys we have (764 votes)
1497 total votes