Here's a look at the major stories in the world of thefor the week ending on December 13th:
- There were early rumors, then more rumors, and finally Rafael Soriano decided to accept arbitration from the Braves.
- Soriano was quickly traded to the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for another bullpen arm, Jesse Chavez.
- There were early reports at the Winter Meetings that Kelly Johnson was in high demand on the trade market, but apparently that was not the case as the Braves non-tendered Johnson yesterday.
- Ryan Church was initially DFA'ed to make room for Soriano on the roster, and then he was non-tendered later in the week.
- The Braves have shown some interest in free agent Xavier Nady.
- Matt Diaz was re-signed for the 2010 season by the Braves.
- For a complete and detailed recap of the Braves happenings at the Winter Meetings, click here.
- I penned a post hoping that the Braves stay away from Mike Cameron.
- CB previewed the Rule 5 draft, and correctly called that Edgar Osuna would be the guy off the Braves roster who was selected. He was selected by, surprise, the Royals. Those Royals also signed two other ex-Braves players.
- Talking Chop got the exclusive scoop on all the Braves minor league and international free agent signings.
- jdunk asks the if trading Derek Lowe will make the Braves better.
- Meanwhile, JKowalek thinks the Braves and Cubs should make a swap involving Lowe.
- And AndrewWK wants the Braves to swap Lowe for a speedster.
Coming up tomorrow on Talking Chop, the combined community top-25 Braves prospects.