The Braves high-A minor league affiliate, the Myrtle Beach Pelicans, have a new logo.
I especially like the background picture on their redesigned web site; that pelican's eyes look a bit demented.
Here are some tidbits from the SportsXchange:
- RHP Tim Hudson had his wisdom teeth pulled, a preventive measure calculated to prevent disrupting the season.
- LHP Mike Gonzalez doesn't care what inning he pitches, but when asked whether he sees himself as a closer responded, "There's no doubt in my mind. That's what I do."
- RHP Tyler Yates needed offseason weight training only for his legs; his arms, shoulders and back get enough of a workout from surfing.
- RHP Kyle Davies believes he'll be more comfortable on the mound this season. "Sometimes I felt like I was worrying too much," he says of how he pitched last year.
- Manager Bobby Cox will assign one of his five starters to be caught by backup C Brayan Pena, but he hasn't decided which one yet.
The Braves have finally signed their only remaining arbitration eligible player, Oscar Villarreal. He agreed to a one-year, $925,000 contract Sunday, and could make another $100,000 in bonuses. Here is the interesting bonus structure: